Sunday, May 5, 2019

When Fear Gets in the Way

Acts of the Apostles 5:28-32 -- Do Not Be Afraid
"We gave you strict orders, did we not, to stop teaching in that name? Yet you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and want to bring this man's blood upon us." But Peter and the apostles said in reply, "We must obey God rather than men. . . .  We are witnesses of these things, as is the Holy Spirit whom God has given to those who obey him."
My students are always teaching me important lessons. The other day, for instance, while we were discussing a current event in relation to our unit of study, a student asked the following question: “What do you believe regarding China’s detention of Muslims?” I thought my answer was implied in the presentation of the topic, but this student -- a very intelligent, conservative-minded fifteen-year-old -- wanted to hear my direct answer. And my answer was anything but direct. I danced around what I really wanted to say and offered a universal answer: The detention of anyone because of their religious beliefs is a violation of human rights. But I wanted to say something about the evils of Islamophobia so prevalent in the world. I wanted to offer the many examples of love, kindness, respect, and dignity that exist in the many Muslim students I serve (and have served in the past) and their families.  
Another student, one equally as intelligent but more liberal-minded, asked if I thought Islam was a violent faith. Again, after reflection, I posed a vanilla answer. At first I said, “I don’t know. I am not a Muslim. But based on what I have read, it is a religion of peace.” Then, I added that all five major religions -- Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, and Judaism -- embrace the idea of peace among humanity. I quickly steered our topic back to the text at hand, fearing any more depth on such a sensitive issue. I left class feeling that my answers were intellectually governed by my reticence to speak up and make a few students uncomfortable. I was afraid of what some students might say to their parents regarding my liberal-progressive views. I was afraid . . .
My experience speaks to Acts chapter 5. The Apostles, led by Peter, were honest about their convictions, even in the face of the Sanhedrin’s threats. Although I realize that serving students in a public school is no place to take a political or religious stand, it is a place to take a human stand and be transparent about my convictions and beliefs in the love and kindness of all humanity, regardless of their background.
Heavenly Father, kindly grant us the grace to witness the truth about your love and hope in this world, your love and hope in and for every individual. In Jesus Christ I pray, amen.
Have a blessed week!

Stan

No comments:

Post a Comment