Sunday, May 26, 2019

Finding the Perfect Church

John 14:26 -- Be the Change
The Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything and make you remember all that I have told you.
I used to think the perfect church was out there. All I needed to do was study the differences in doctrines, the declarations of faith, the history, and the organizing body. Once I did this enough, I would find the “perfect fit” in Christianity. And although basic doctrines do matter -- for instance I believe in the Nicene Creed -- the finite, specifics of a church’s beliefs, I am convinced, matter less. All Christians are an important part of the Body of Christ, no matter our denominational differences.
A friend of mine approached me this week disgruntled with his current church. As I listened, I heard the same arguments with which I wrangled for so many years. But as he talked, I heard a very important message: We are never alone in our struggles. Even though my friend is a Presbyterian and I am a Roman Catholic, we struggle with similar misgivings in our churches and pine for a more improved version. The more I think about this, the more I am led to believe that I (we) make the difference, even in the most disorganized, sin-ridden church. Our contribution as part of the body, connected with one another, makes all of the difference in the world.
I am in no way perfect, but I can attest to the Holy Spirit’s presence in all of us. And since the Spirit is present, our willing cooperation allows God’s grace to flow. Sometimes God’s grace flows in ways that are hard for us to see, but we need to have faith, hope, and trust in God’s grace, too.
As we approach this week, let us all remember Jesus’ words of assurance to a flawed, divided, fledgling early church: “The Holy Spirit . . . will teach you everything and make you remember all that I have told you.” And let us pray for the Holy Spirit’s guidance in all things so that we can be the serving vessels of God’s grace. Amen.
Have a blessed week!

Stan

No comments:

Post a Comment