Sunday, May 19, 2019

Can I get a Witness?

John 13:34-35: Being a Witness of Faith
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
There was a time when I equated witnessing my faith in Jesus Christ to various flamboyant displays of belief. But my perspective has changed.
Witnessing our love for God is always beneficial, but our evangelistic bark often results in less of a bite: Bumper stickers, t-shirts, and tracts call attention to ourselves; instead, we should be pointing to God.
Jesus, moreover, reminds his disciples about how to truly witness: We are known by our love. According to Scripture, the true testament of being Christ’s followers is in our love for God and neighbor, and in this passage, Jesus emphasizes our love for neighbor. The phrase “love one another,” for instance, is repeated three times in these verses.
As I reflect on the shortcomings of the charity I express toward others, I ask God to grant me the grace to love the person in front of me more authentically, even when it is a challenge. For as Christians we are known by our love, not the empty narcissism of personal faith branding.
May you all be blessed and encouraged in the love and peace of Christ.  

Stan

No comments:

Post a Comment