Sunday, April 7, 2019

Gossip's Grip on My Life

John 8:7-11 -- In the Grip of Gossip
As [the Pharisees] stood there asking [Jesus] questions, he straightened up and said to them, “Whichever one of you has committed no sin may throw the first stone at her.” Then he bent over again and wrote on the ground. When they heard this, they all left, one by one, the older ones first. Jesus was left alone, with the woman still standing there. He straightened up and said to her, “Where are they? Is there no one left to condemn you?”
“No one, sir,” she answered.
“Well, then,” Jesus said, “I do not condemn you either. Go, but do not sin again.”
I am often seduced into the negativity of gossip. And even though I pray to be better at this, to be strong and avoid denouncing others, I give in and “have at it.” Now, I may not come out with piercing accusations, and often I am not the catalyst. My modus operandi, however, comes in the form of affirmative nods, smiles, and statements like “I know what you mean.” I am a champion of sideline smirks, complicit in the quiet bad-mouthing of many.
Throughout Scripture, Jesus models the opposite approach, an approach of loving forgiveness and acceptance. Although he sees sin for what it is, he condemns no one -- not the woman caught in adultery nor the Pharisees trying to trap him and condemn her. All are forgiven. None are judged.
Jesus reminds me that I, although far from perfect, can do better. I can stop the cycle of gossip, stop the high-mindedness and quiet affirmation of others’ faults, and stop the silent judging of others’ sins. I can, instead, embrace and follow the way of Jesus -- the way of love, forgiveness, and acceptance of all.
As Paul says in Philippians 3:12-13:
I do not claim that I have already succeeded or have already become perfect. I keep striving to win the prize for which Christ Jesus has already won me to himself. . . [T]he one thing I do, however, is to forget what is behind me and do my best to reach what is ahead.
Lord Jesus Christ, please grant us the grace of humility so that we can truly love our neighbor as ourselves. Amen.
Have a blessed week!

Stan

No comments:

Post a Comment