Thursday, November 7, 2019

The Proximity of God

Psalm 145:18: The Proximity of God
The Lord is near to all who call on him,
to all who call on him in truth.
Recently, I have been calling on God a lot. As a challenged father of a teenager, as a devoted disciple who often feels lost, as a husband, as a teacher, and as a neighbor I call on God with regularity praying,  “God, help me, strengthen me, guide me. . .” And in faith I know he is always near, especially in my times of struggle. But that knowledge doesn’t always translate into real life experience. Sometimes I can’t help but feel like God is far away. God does not promise, however, that we will always feel consoled. What he promises, instead, is that he will always be with us, even in our doubts and desolation. And much like the disciples in the boat on the sea, nearly swamped by a quick-rising storm, we call on Jesus, too: “Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?” (Mark 4:38). The Scripture does not end with God’s silence. It ends with Jesus rising and quieting the storm: “He woke up and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, ‘Peace! Be still!’” (Mark 4:39). 
Loving God, please grant me the faith to always call out to you and the gift of being filled and guided by your Spirit. Amen. 
Peace, 

Stan

No comments:

Post a Comment