Sunday, September 1, 2019

True Humility

Luke 14: 8, 10-11 -- What Humility Looks Like
Jesus said, "When you are invited by someone to a wedding banquet, do not recline at table in the place of honor. Rather, when you are invited, go and take the lowest place. For every one who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted."
When it comes to life, one of the toughest things to get past is our own egos. My ego gets me in trouble quite often. As much as I try, I find myself prioritizing what I want and veiling it in what others want. This means that, yes, I want to do good for others. But what that good looks like is often something I prefer to do and not, rather, what the other person truly needs. I call this egocentric giving, and I do it more often than I like to admit. 
True humility, instead, is to unselfishly do good for others. That good, moreover, is to provide what the other truly needs, despite our own comfort zone and preferences. When I do something for someone else, it means doing what they need me to do, not what I prefer. For instance, if my wife asks me to paint our room rose pink, I paint it rose pink. My ego, however, spurns me to suggest a “better” color, one that I prefer. Then the room gets painted a color for me, not her. This is egocentric giving, and it taints the love I intend to give. Conversely, true humility would be to paint the room her color because it is for her needs. And on the rare occasion that I get this right, true humility is immeasurably better for both the giver and receiver. 
Jesus reminds us throughout the Gospels that a humble life, a life of self sacrifice, is what God desires for each of us. Jesus himself models this all the way to the cross.
I pray that love, humility, and self-giving replace the instances in life where we may be drawn to selfish behavior. In Jesus Christ’s name I pray, amen. 
Peace, 

Stan

No comments:

Post a Comment