Sunday, March 17, 2019

Spiritual Maturity?

Philippians 3:12-17: Adopt A Humble Outlook
It is not that I [Paul] have already taken hold of it or have already attained perfect [spiritual] maturity, but I continue my pursuit in hope that I may possess it, since I have indeed been taken possession of by Christ [Jesus]. My friends, I for my part do not consider myself to have taken possession. Just one thing: Forgetting what lies behind but straining forward to what lies ahead, I continue my pursuit toward the goal, the prize of God’s upward calling, in Christ Jesus. Let us, then, who [think we are are] “perfectly mature” adopt [a humble] attitude. And if you have a different attitude, this too God will reveal to you. Only, with regard to what we have attained, continue on the same course.
Join with others in being imitators of [my humility], my friends, and observe those who thus conduct themselves according to the model you have in us.
It is clear throughout Paul’s writing that the right Christian attitude is essential. Even Paul -- the super apostle, the former Pharisee, the Gentile advocate, the one who challenges Peter’s discriminating behavior -- admits that he is a spiritual work in progress. During Paul’s time, apparently, there were many in the church who had a “holier-than-thou” attitude. Paul’s letter reminds them (us) to, instead, adopt a humble approach. For no one has perfect spiritual maturity, no one has “arrived.” Sometimes our spiritual journeys take a detour, but we must always put our hope in Jesus and his promise, no matter our situation, and “continue [our] pursuit toward the goal.”
I don’t know about you, but my Christian journey is full of detours. And as soon as I think I have it figured out, as soon as I feel I have the answer to the mystery of discipleship, the spiritual rug is pulled out from beneath me. I fall, sin, and come up short. But God’s loving hand picks me back up as I am given the grace to express (and feel) sorrow. Sometimes, failure is the necessary step to humility. For as soon as we shirk humility in our lives, we disengage from God. Failure, then, keeps us in spiritual check.
Therefore, if you are like me and find yourself doubting, failing, falling, and struggling, fear not. Paul’s advice is to adopt a humble outlook. From the moment of our baptism until we take our last breath, we are on a journey with God. And our inspiration is often found in the common lives of those around us who model self-giving, relentless love. Maybe we, too, can be models of that love for others.
Have a blessed week!

Stan

No comments:

Post a Comment