Sunday, January 13, 2019

The Goodness And Loving Kindness Of God

Titus 3:4-5 (RSV): The Goodness And Loving Kindness Of God
But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of deeds done by us in righteousness, but in virtue of his own mercy.
About eight years ago, my then seven-year-old son wanted to go Christmas gift shopping. His elementary school sponsored an event run by the PTA in which small gifts were available for a few dollars each. We gave our son some money and let him shop. He took time sifting through all of the displays, careful to think about the meaning and purpose of each. Although I saw what he chose for my wife and others, I did not see what he chose for me. I discovered that surprise on Christmas morning, however.
After opening all of his Christmas gifts, my son walked over to a few small boxes and presented them to my wife and me. She opened her musical jewelry box with a smile and embraced him with a kiss and a thank you. Then it was my turn. As I unhurriedly peeled back the Scotch tape and Christmas-wreath paper, I uncovered a small porcelain nativity set.
“Do you like it, Dad?” my son asked.
“Are you kidding me?” I hitched, “I love it!” I had to fight back the tears. My son’s gift remains perched on my garage workbench where I am reminded of his innocent, loving gesture -- where I am reminded, furthermore, that he remembered the importance of Jesus in my life.
Even though we gave our son the money, took him to the gift shop, and guided him along the journey, his choices, thoughts, and intentions infused each gift with love and meaning.
There is nothing we can do to earn God’s love. Titus reminds us that God “saved us, not because of deeds done by us in righteousness, but in virtue of his own mercy.” We cannot go out and buy God with our acts of virtue in this world. Often I fail to remember that every act of goodness I try to do is a result of God’s grace. Love is something I cannot fabricate; it can only come from grace. But even though God gives us this wealth of grace, it is our decision about how we use it. Do we squander it by falling into self-absorbed living? Or do we choose God’s loving kindness and invest it in acts of love toward our neighbor?
Heavenly Father, let our thoughts, choices, and intentions sow your love in this world. In Jesus Christ we pray, amen.  
Have a blessed week.
Stan

No comments:

Post a Comment