Sunday, November 28, 2021

Luke 21: 34-35 -- "That Day"

Luke 21: 34-35

‘Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness, and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you suddenly like a trap. For it will come on all those who live on the face of the whole earth. 

Anxiety has robbed me of much joy in life. And I can certainly be weighed down by it. The gospel writer mentions "that day," and contextually it refers to Christ's second coming. But I wonder if "that day" is the end of this life and the beginning of eternal life. When I come to die, will I have been preoccupied by stress and nonsense? I pray to be wrapped in the love of those around me rather than anxiety-inducing news media, social media, people pleasing, gossip, and money. Is that what Jesus means?

No comments:

Post a Comment