Sunday, December 1, 2019

Be Prepared

Matthew 24:42 -- Be Prepared!
Therefore, stay awake! For you do not know on which day your Lord will come. 
When I was a kid, I belonged to the Boy Scouts of America (BSA). And one of the first things I learned was the group’s motto: “Be Prepared!” As an 11-13 year-old, being prepared meant something totally different than it does as a 47-year-old father of four. Below the surface, however, the basis of that preparation is the same. To be prepared is to think and act ahead, equipping myself for any situation that might happen. But as the BSA taught me, preparation is not just for the self; it is primarily for the good of others. Preparation puts us in a better position to serve others. For if we are serving, we are loving, too. Service involves self-sacrifice, care, time, and generosity, all things for which we must be prepared. Our faith life is no different. If we want to be ready for the coming of Jesus, whether it is the end of times or the end of our own corporeal time, we must be prepared, prepared to give, love, offer ourselves, and empty ourselves. Preparation is no easy task, though. We cannot do it on our own. Thankfully, God is infinitely generous and gives us the necessary grace to persevere and prepare. 
So I ask myself: Am I prepared? Does my life reflect self-sacrifice, care, time, and generosity? I always need work in this area, so I pray for God’s grace to strengthen me. Amen. 
Peace, 

Stan

No comments:

Post a Comment