Monday, June 24, 2019

Breaking the Cycle of Hate Starts with Me

Matthew 7:1-5 -- Why Can’t I Break the Cycle?
[Jesus said,] “Do not judge, so that you may not be judged. For with the judgment you make you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get. Why do you see the speck in your neighbor’s eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your neighbor, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ while the log is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbor’s eye.”
Another day goes by, and I am caught in a slew of condemning thoughts. I tell myself that I will not judge, gossip, or talk about the struggles of others. But what do I do? The opposite. Sure, I try to avoid it, telling myself that I will listen and not contribute. In the end, however, being passive is being permissive. Why can’t I break the cycle of hate?
I am a coward, fearing that I will be hated and judged, too. If I confront the people who tempt me, many of whom I love, then I not only block them out of my life but come off looking like a self-righteous prig.
I despise confrontation. I do everything I can in life to get along and be peaceful with others. I could boldly state, “I don’t want to do this!” However, I am weak and ineffective at confronting others and standing up for how I feel. Instead, I choose to be quiet and permissive.
When I examine my conscience, I can see that I, too, am guilty of the same level of sins and questionable behaviors as those at whom I permissively point the finger. And I thank God he gives me the knowledge and understanding of my faults. It would be worse, clearly, if I were not aware. I am comforted by God’s direction and corrective insight, my feelings of guilt and need for conversion.
How, then, do I become a person of Christ’s acceptance, love, mercy, and forgiveness? How do I stand outside of the circle of hate? It starts with grace. There is nothing I can do without it. And when God offers his grace, I must cooperate, change, and act upon it. Those last three are the challenge, however.
Loving God, I pray to be a more loving person. I pray to be a person who, like your Son, does not judge but instead loves, accepts, heals, and forgives all people no matter their sins and circumstances. In Jesus Christ I pray, amen.
Have a blessed week,

Stan

No comments:

Post a Comment