Sunday, November 18, 2018

Where and When Will the Kingdom of God Come?

Luke 17: 20-21 (GNT): God Within Us
Some Pharisees asked Jesus when the Kingdom of God would come. His answer was, “The Kingdom of God does not come in such a way as to be seen. No one will say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or, ‘There it is!’; because the Kingdom of God is within you.”
When the religious leaders look for a concrete answer from Jesus about the end-of-times, Jesus responds with an unexpected answer. His answer reminds the Pharisees that the kingdom of God is not so much about a place and time, for God’s kingdom is in the here and now. The kingdom of God, Jesus teaches, is within and among us. It is not a far-off date or place. And it is not about a prophecy or punishment. The kingdom of God is here and now, present in the love and grace of Christ in our hearts. But we have to open our eyes to see God’s kingdom both within and among us.
I see God’s kingdom in the smile of each of my children, and I hear God’s voice in their laughter. Just the other day, I experienced the reward of snuggling up with my youngest son, Luke, and my daughter, Lily, on our couch. We watched a Christmas movie together. Feeling their nearness and warmth and keeping time with the cadence of their breathing, I paused and thanked God for the gift of them. God’s kingdom is within and among us.
I see God’s kingdom in the loving attention of my wife, Dana. Whenever I come home, no matter how difficult a day she’s had with raising our three children and managing our household -- organizing doctor’s visits, scheduling school events, shuttling to and from places, keeping an immaculate house, nursing sick children, and cleaning up after and organizing for a frazzled, forgetful husband -- she has a welcoming hug and kiss for me as soon as I come home. God’s kingdom is within and among us.
I see God’s kingdom in the children I teach. With each greeting at my classroom door, each smile and wave, each “thank you” and “how was your weekend,” I hear the voice of love, care, and concern. God’s kingdom is within and among us.
Jesus teaches us that God’s kingdom is not a far-off place, hidden in the ether of an unknown realm. God’s kingdom is right here within and among us in the presence of love emanated by those around us. And God’s kingdom is in each of us, too, when we choose to radiate the love of Jesus to those we encounter.
I pray that we all receive the grace to recognize that God’s kingdom is within and among us, allowing God’s love to spring from our outreach and service to others.
Have a blessed week and Happy Thanksgiving!

Stan

No comments:

Post a Comment