Sunday, October 28, 2018

How Jesus Calls Each of Us

Mark 10:49: How Jesus Calls Each of Us
Jesus stopped and said, “Call him.” So they called the blind man, saying to him, “Take courage; get up, he is calling you.”
Each day at the beginning of my lunch period, a former student stops by my room for a visit. As I am tidying up my room, he opens the door and greets me with, “How is your day, Mr. Blackburn?” It is a stock greeting that I have come to expect over the past two months, and my response usually links back to how he is doing in school and life. Although we only get three minutes of dialogue each day, I have noticed the following: He is stressed out with school work, busy working in his family’s business, and in need of attention and acceptance. And to be honest, his daily visits sometimes annoy me. I feel guilty, but there are times I selfishly hope he would stop by weekly instead of daily. A recent event, however, showed me how wrong I often get it, how blind I am to Jesus’ presence in my life.
A few days ago, I celebrated my birthday. I like to keep this quiet, celebrating only with my family. But when this student entered my room, wished me a Happy Birthday (he remembered from last year when his class mistakenly found out), and presented me with a handmade present, I could not believe my blindness. Most moving, however, was the message he enclosed on a 3x5 index card. It contained the following line: “You have been like a father figure to me.” I was (and still am) speechless.
Jesus calls each of us in ways we often fail to see. God’s voice is heard in the call of those around us, looking for our attention, kindness, and love. It is a call that comes during our free time, challenging our selfish nature, calling us to love outside of our comfort zone. This incident reminds me that I am no different than the blind Bartimaeus. And I need our Lord to open my eyes so that I, too, can rise up and follow him on the way.
I pray that we are all blessed to see those moments when Jesus appears in the least expected places of our day and that we always respond with love.  
Have a blessed week!

Stan

No comments:

Post a Comment