Sunday, August 12, 2018

The Echoes of Forgiveness

Ephesians 4:32-5:2 (NLT): The Echoes of Forgiveness
Be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.
Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children. Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God.
When a person is kind, tenderhearted, and forgiving, it makes an impression, an indelible mark that resonates throughout our lives. That mark, moreover, spurs our own love toward others.
It was a dark night, and I was visiting a hospital in a far-off town. There were somber faces in the room, family members who were waiting for the inevitable. My turn came, so I moved down the hall passed the hum and rhythmic beeping of machines.
The nurse instructed me that my grandmother was not in pain, but she warned me that it would sound like she was choking. I agreed with the latter statement; it was an unpleasant sound. Upon entering the ICU room, I sat next to my grandmother. The only thing I could say through my streaming tears and hitching breath was, “I am so sorry for everything.”
Growing up, I was a curious, challenging kid. And I made many mistakes, the worst of them full of deceit and hurt. My grandmother received the brunt of this. But through my every wrong, betrayal, and act of unkindness, her loving way, forgiving nature, and generosity shined through. Through every instance, my grandmother answered me with tenderhearted, forgiving love. And her answers were never cheap; she lived her forgiving ways through concrete acts of love and self giving.
That evening at the hospital abruptly ended; others needed to see her, so I held her hand, kissed it and said, “I love you; thank you.” She passed away within the next 12 hours.
People who live lives of self sacrifice, forgiveness, and love make a lasting mark on others; they leave a loving legacy that never fades but only grows with time. St. Paul instructs a universal church audience to do the same: “Be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you. Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do.” This loving, merciful behavior makes an immeasurable impact in our world, an impact that echoes throughout generations. How do we respond to the hurts that affect us?
Loving God, we pray that you inspire us to love and forgive the people in our lives as you love and forgive each one of us. Let us be the tenderhearted, loving, and forgiving person in others’ lives, creating waves of mercy and love in our world. In Jesus Christ we pray, amen.
Have a blessed week!

Stan

No comments:

Post a Comment