Sunday, July 9, 2017

Unity is Without Limit

Matthew 11:28-30 (NRSV): Unity is Without Limit
28 Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”
We are in the middle of a beautiful ecumenical Christian movement. Most Christian denominations are seeking to reconcile their differences and be unified as one in Christ. For instance just a few days ago, the World Communion of Reformed Churches agreed to the 1999 Catholic-Lutheran agreement on Christian salvation. This may seem too theological, but the question of salvation was one of the main dividing points during the Reformation. And now, most churches agree that we are unified by God’s grace and our faith in Christ. Unity is a beautiful thing.
Jesus never meant for his love and forgiveness to be a difficult burden. However, some theological purists make salvation and Christian love burdensome and limited. Jesus reminds us that his teaching is that of inexhaustible love, unity, gentleness, and humility. He calls us to shirk off the limitations of a legalistic approach to faith and instead to take on his easy, light way of love.
I pray that we all be unified in the beautiful mystery of God’s love for each one of us.
Have a blessed week!

Stan

No comments:

Post a Comment