Monday, April 20, 2015

1 Corinthians 13 (NIV): Faith, Hope, and Love

1 Corinthians 13 (NIV): Faith, Hope, and Love
If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing . . . And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Comment:
Love is the root of all Christian faith; it is the foundation of our hope in Christ.  As John points out in 1 John 4:7, “Let us love one another because love comes from God.” Love, then, according to not only Paul in this famous passage, but John as well, is the manifestation of God in us.  The Holy Spirit, therefore, is the wellspring of God’s love in our hearts; it is the “living water” Jesus mentions to the Samaritan woman at the well in John 4:11-13. Love is the driving force and physical expression of our faith. As we serve others this week, let us call on the love of God to well-up in our hearts with the right response, a response that showers faith, hope and love on others.

No comments:

Post a Comment