Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Ten Things Leading to Happiness: A Response to "Humblepiety: What can bring us happiness?"

Humblepiety: What can bring us happiness?

The above blog post, from Father Patrick Brennan, presents a prompt and list that inspires.  The following is my top ten list leading to happiness:

My quicklist (adapted from Fr. Pat's):

1. Read Scripture daily, especially the New Testament, focusing on Jesus Christ's salvific message.

2. Conform myself to Jesus by His grace living a life of service aimed at doing God's will even in mundane tasks.

3. Be humble in all things as a dad, husband, and neighbor.

4. Pray simple, frequent prayers throughout the day -- thanks, praise, forgiveness, intercession -- attributing that "all things work together for good to those who love God" (Romans 8:28).

5. Go to Mass not out of "obligation" but because I love God. Go frequently when the opportunity serves.

6. Go to confession for serious matters, avoiding self-righteous legalism. God loves and forgives those who repent; confession is not medicine for deliberately recurring sin (Luke 5:12-13).

7. Live life knowing that Jesus died for me; therefore, I must die to myself and live for Jesus in a life of service (Galatians 2:20).

8. Be a shepherd to my domestic church. Set the example of living in Christ for my wife and kids.

9. Love all people, especially the least of His brethren and those who persecute me (Matthew 5:44, 25:40).

10. Live life reflecting that the Holy Trinity comes first in all things, always attributing any any works and gifts to God's grace.


No comments:

Post a Comment