Monday, June 18, 2018

Being Great Givers

Matthew 5:42 (NABRE): Great Givers
Give to the one who asks of you, and do not turn your back on one who wants to borrow.
When I was leaving South Korea in 1993 to return to the US, I remember exchanging cash for American Express Travelers Cheques. That company used to have an advertising slogan: “Don’t leave home without them.” Well, I thought it wise to take their word. So I bought $200 worth of cheques and kept no cash. When I arrived at a remote airport outside of Seoul, I had to purchase a one-way airline ticket to Japan. No problem, I thought. However, the teller took only Korean won or American dollars. I had those cheques and nothing else. Three people behind me, a man stepped forward and paid my ticket in exchange for $125 in travelers cheques. The man was an angel of God in my eyes. Little did I know, however, that in turning over the cheques to the man, I forgot to sign them. They were useless to him without my signature. After I arrived home, I received the cheques in the mail with a letter asking for me to sign and return them, which I did in haste. That man’s generosity remains an example of self giving that I will never forget.
In this verse from the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus teaches us about giving. And giving isn’t limited to just handing over our money; it is about handing over a piece of ourselves. We are called upon daily to look around us and step up in line for the needy person who is sometimes too shocked or confused to ask. Figuratively, this may be a friend in need of a listening ear. Maybe we are called to serve others by giving up our free time so they can have a minute to breathe. Our moment of giving may not equal $125 of our cash, but our small act of love might mean the world to the person who needs it.
Let us keep our eyes open for the moments where we are called to self give, to serve, to offer up our love for the sake of someone else. And as we “give to those who ask” and turn toward those in need, we will notice an infection of love in the wake of our example.
Loving God, we pray for the grace to be great givers. Let the example of your Son shine in our hearts as we offer ourselves to those around us in need. We pray in Jesus Christ’s name. Amen.
Have a blessed week!

Stan

No comments:

Post a Comment