Sunday, November 26, 2017

Loving Others is Loving God

Matthew 25:40 (NRSV): Loving Others is Loving God
And the king will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.’
“Daddy, do you love God more than me?” my daughter asked one night when I tucked her into bed. She got quiet and waited for my honest answer.
“Honey, Daddy loves you more than anything in this world. You are my sweetheart, and I don’t know of anyone I could love more than you, your brothers, and your mother,” I said with a short pause. Then nervously, I continued, “But, Honey, there is no way that I could love you this much if God did not first love us. You see, God gives us the special gift to love because He is Love Itself. So in a way, Sweetie, I have to love God first, so that I am made strong enough to love you as much as I do, which is more than anything ever.”
“I love you, too, Daddy. Goodnight,” she replied through a half-yawn as she drifted off to sleep satisfied with my answer.
How do we explain our love for God to the ones we love the most? Children have a natural curiosity. As a result, they ask probing questions. And although we try to be honest, sometimes words fall short.
In today’s Gospel, Jesus tells the story about the final judgment. And it is clear in Matthew 25:31-46 that we will be judged based on our love for others. Jesus asks a life-changing question: How do we treat the “least of these”? Historically, the Matthean community was concerned with suffering Christians, but today this text points to all of God’s children. How do we love those we encounter, especially those we serve in our most intimate relationships? The degree to which we love those around us is the degree to which we love God. In giving ourselves away to others, therefore, we give ourselves to God. And to define who “others” are, we need only to begin looking in our closest circles. For me, it starts with my wife and children. Who is it for you?


Heavenly Father, please let us love others as You love us. Grant us the grace to love those closest to us with an unending, unbridled love and to radiate Your love to all we encounter. We pray in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.


Have a blessed week!

Stan

No comments:

Post a Comment