Sunday, October 8, 2017

When we Persist in Prayer

Luke 18:1-8 (CEV): When we Persist in Prayer
1 Jesus told his disciples a story about how they should keep on praying and never give up . . . The Lord said: “Won’t God protect his chosen ones who pray to him day and night? Won’t he be concerned for them? He will surely hurry and help them. . .”
I find comfort in prayer. Peace and calm accompany calling God to mind and offering myself to Him -- my celebrations, my struggles, my faults. But often, I wonder if my prayers are heard. This happens especially when I struggle with a decision or problem. Trust in God and persistence, however, are key when it comes to prayer.
In commenting on the above passage, the writer David McCasland reminds us what prayer is and is not:
Prayer is not a means of coercing God to do what we want. It is a process of recognizing His power and plan for our lives. In prayer we yield our lives and circumstances to the Lord and trust Him to act in His time and in His way.
The lesson Jesus teaches us in this parable is to keep at it. Prayer requires tenacity and trust. We are to abandon ourselves to God’s will and care, knowing that His time and ours are not the same.
O God, may we all feel Your presence and blessings in our lives, knowing that in our persistent prayer we are to trust and yield, not coerce. We pray in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
Have a blessed week!

Stan

No comments:

Post a Comment