Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Why we Should Seek the Creator and Not the Created: 'The Imitation of Christ'

"A man who attributes any goodness to himself puts up a barrier against the coming of God's grace, because it is always a humble heart that the grace of the Holy Ghost looks for. If only you would reduce your self-seeking to nothing, and empty your heart of love for anything created, my grace would be bound to flood your heart in fathomless streams. So long as you gaze at things created, you lose sight of him who created them." 
~ Thomas รก Kempis, The Imitation of Christ (Knox translation), From Book 3, Section 42
How clearly this statement rings in my life. The created things of the world can be such distractions in devoting my life to God. But when I put God first, then the created things lose their power and my focus is on the love of Christ and not the love of stuff in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment