Sunday, December 2, 2012

John 13:12-17: Walking in the Footsteps of Christ


      In reading John 13, I am enamored by Christ’s service to his disciples.  As Jesus prepares to enter His passion, he removes his outer garments and cleanses the filthiest physical part of each disciple, their feet.  Using a towel around his waist, our Lord proceeds to then dry each foot.  It is sometimes difficult for me to comprehend the limitless servitude of Jesus, for even Saint Peter questions our Lord about cleaning his feet.  But Jesus is about total self giving, even when we are incapable of understanding why.  This self sacrifice and love, however, is something Christ gives to each of us every day, for He cleanses all of our sins, the filthiest part of our humanity.  The Gospel reads as follows:
"So when he had washed their feet [and] put his garments back on and reclined at table again, he said to them, “Do you realize what I have done for you? You call me ‘teacher’ and ‘master,’ and rightly so, for indeed I am. If I, therefore, the master and teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash one another’s feet. I have given you a model to follow, so that as I have done for you, you should also do. Amen, amen, I say to you, no slave is greater than his master nor any messenger – greater than the one who sent him. If you understand this, blessed are you if you do it." (John 13:12-17)
     During today’s’ Mass, our parish priest delivered a homily and referred to an NYPD police officer that bought a homeless man a pair of boots and socks.  Drawing parallels to my morning Scripture reading, I looked up the story about the homeless man and police officer.  A section of the article states:
“The officer walked to a Sketchers store on 42nd Street and shelled out $75 for insulated winter boots and thermal socks. He returned to the man, knelt down and put the footwear on him.”

     The Holy Spirit is alive and active in our world.  This act of kindness and humility reflects humanity’s conscious effort to follow in the footsteps of Christ.         
     When I am tempted to cross the street, hang up the phone, shut the door, or senselessly pass by someone in need, I humbly pray to God for the grace to kneel before the needy and self give.  God bless this young police officer for walking in the footsteps of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment